Thursday, October 22, 2009

Times Reflection

This is the first time in my life I've had anything to do with a newspaper for any length of time. While the impact hasn't been life-changing, it's been one that I've enjoyed, for sure. Reading the Times every afternoon has given me a change to poke through the news that I find interesting and intriguing, and ignore what I don't.

I've noticed that I tend, as do most people, to to stick to what I'll enjoy, or get something out of, personally. I won't read something because I feel it's my civic duty to do so. We all have varying interests, and I'll stick to mine. Call me selfish, but it's my world, and what impacts me is what I'm interested in. *winks* I go for the BIG news, the WEIRD news, or news relating to personal interests, including eating disorders, children, and science. Such an article was The Cookie Diet.

There is not a doubt in my mind that I'm missing a whole lot of peripheral or dry, un-entertaining news, but there's also not a doubt in my mind that I'm not missing anything that's not important to me. Meaning, if it's going to impact my life, and I missed it, someone will talk about it. If it doesn't come up in day to day life, or I wasn't interested in it to begin with. . . who cares?

I have always been an avid reader, so this pursuit of newsly knowledge isn't really changing much about me. I'm used to assimilating and poking through various viewpoints, and having to then turn around and analyze them. Go debate! It has, however, given me a few more things to talk about around the dinner table. . . . The news is far more social than I've ever noticed.

1 comment:

  1. An article titled "The Cookie Diet" is pretty irresistible to read, isn't it? I think you're right about news of the weird and, more importantly, about the role of personal interest in news. I'm glad that all of this has given you more to talk about around the dinner table.

    ReplyDelete