Thursday, October 22, 2009

Blogalyst

So I have become a self-proclaimed Blogalyst. . . . *parades around* *quickly puts on a serious look* No, but, seriously, I'm here to analyze a couple of blogs that I'm currently following.

First, Hot Air. I have absolutely got to say that I LOVE this blog. I'm not particularly conservative, but neither am I particularly liberal. I don't align my views with any one group, really. However, this blog is conservative beyond all belief, and its purpose is to combat the liberal spewing that is so readily present in all media. It's incredible satirical and dryly sarcastic. I've laughed more than once while browsing the wide selection of topics. It started as personal project, and quickly evolved to three friends doing their best to provide alternate viewpoints on the news of the day. It continued to expand as guest writers began to write in. Designed to reach a conservative audience, Hot Air is sure to bring in right-wingers from all over. However, I'm sure it also has a big selection of readers that are there solely for the entertainment factor. It is very much a rallying point for conservative news, and it's a new-found part of my routine that I hope to have for quite some time.

Current World News
doesn't thrill me nearly as much. It seems to be a venue for popular gossip, either of the celebrity or political kind. I honestly could care less about who's doing what with who or who's a man/woman/combination of both, and what that could potentially do to the world of sports. (I hyperlinked that because I know that caught several of y'all's interest. :-D) The author varies, post to post, and there's no real way to keep track of who's who. The articles are well-written, but are often about trivial bits of gossip. Like I said. . . not my favorite.

*moment of silence* I hope Friday goes well for you, Eric.

6 comments:

  1. I really respect people that don't totally align themselves with one political group, and I think it's great that you don't. I do take issue with one statement you made about the media being overly liberal. I'm obviously aware of that sentiment, however I'm not sure it's completely accurate. By far, the most watched cable news network is Fox News. By far, the most listened-to radio personality is Rush Limbaugh. Also, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, and Glenn Beck sell millions and millions of books together. So what's left for the media for the liberals to dominate? Newspapers? Well we all know that newspapers are in decline, so that can't be too big of a deal. The internet? Even you are reading a conservative blog, and while there are tons of liberal blogs, there are so many various opinions on the internet it's hard to classify the entire web as politically slanted at all. So is the media really that liberal, or is it a smart strategical move for conservatives to create a sentiment that the media is liberal, so something conservative will look moderate and nonpartisan.

    (I'm not saying the media is or isn't liberal by the way, it's just something to consider.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS a nice thought to consider, and one that I haven't really paid much attention to. The majority of the opinions coming from the news realm via magazines and newspapers ARE liberal, for they're liberal at their base. However, there is definitely a counter-slewing of online (and otherwise)conservation bite-back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both might be interested to read this study, which is just slightly dated.

    http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/Media-Bias-Is-Real-Finds-UCLA-6664.aspx

    I expect there are criticisms of if, so I am not offering this as the definitive answer. But it is provocative. The study does not appear to consider audience size, as Allan suggests. And, in any case, liberal and conservative are relative terms and vary by issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose to read Hot Air for the same reason. I was surprised to find it was a conservative site because it just seems too funny, and we all know Republicans don't have fun.

    Allan, I'm not big on the news, I admit, but I certainly wouldn't guess that Fox News was the most watched cable news program. In New York, it's known to be one-sided and for that reason untrustworthy. If people wanted reliable facts for the news, the first program they would probably refer to is CNN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to discover the conservative side, too. I was like, huh? That came out of nowhere. . . .

    ReplyDelete