Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Last Day

"Against the grain should be a way of life. . . .
What's worth the price is always worth the fight"

These words from a song called "If Today Were Your Last Day" by Nickelback sum up my thoughts concerning blogging. Ever since I began blogging, I've noticed subtle shifts in my thought patterns. I've sought out controversy, and I've sought a means to expound, to process, to add to it. I've been more apt to share my own opinion, and to be willing to stand behind it. While I will, at times, allow my emotion to override my logic, I've learned much about myself, my classmates, and the world via blogging. The ability to share my thoughts without fear of repercussion (hence, against the grain) is a huge plus for me. Somewhat like a patriot in a sea of normality, bloggers often seek a venue to share their radical ideas. . . . . for the ideas often are quite different. It's been said that if you ask a room full of 10 people about one thing, you'll get 11 answers. That's never more true than with blogging. All 14 of us read the same articles, yet we come up with interpretations from all angles. That free-form aspect of blogging is one that I've come to love. Now, with traditional blogging, I find nothing challenging, really. In this particular blog, Chris Hedge definitely tried my patience. Although, if I get into the nitty-gritty details of it. . . . even that wasn't all that trying, simply expounding. I learned much about the different viewpoints and factions concerning the internet and intellectual spheres of America. I find myself delving a bit deeper into the academic side of the internet, if only to dabble a bit in thoughts other than my own. On the basest level, though, my true habits haven't changed much, if at all, beyond seeking out a bit more in the realm of theoretical knowledge. I have definitely gained an appreciation for spell-binding writing, for it is much easier to process and expound on writing that is well-thought-out and interesting. My recognition of the shortness of the number 250 also intrigues me. I knew that 250 wasn't all that much. . . . but neither did I regularly expect my posts to hit the 800 word mark! I suppose that I'm a rambler by nature. So. . . . . fellow classmates. . . . . intellectuals. . . .literates. . . . bloggers. . . . . consider the thought that you know have a venue with which to comment on, and view the world. . . . . and that it is your right to go against the grain. What will you do with it?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the 10 people, 11 answers quote and I couldn't agree more and I believe it is very appropriate for the situation that we are all in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how matching a word count isn't a concern once you start writing so freely. Even at 800 words, our writing is still intriguing and captivating. I guess we do have a pretty good attention span after all, huh Carr?

    ReplyDelete