Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Was Planning On Putting It Off!!

I was PLANNING on putting it off, which is a VERY legitimate kind of planning, so PLEASE stop calling me a procrastinator.

*sigh* I wish it were true. While I do plan for my procrastination habits, it is procrastination nonetheless. The past few days, I've kept track of my internet habits, and it had DEFINITELY been enlightening. I have discovered that I have an astounding knack for being able to be "productive" while doing absolutely nothing. I've also learned that I am addicted to the instantaneous nature of the digital sphere. There seems to be a repeating pattern in how I spend my time online.

I am always running Yahoo Messenger in the background. It is almost as sure-fire a way to contact me as texting me is. At any time that I'm on the computer, one can count on me also IMing. The first thing I do every single morning is check my email. . . . all four accounts. I have a Gmail for personal use, a Hotmail that I use for keeping in contact with certain friends, a Yahoo for work, and my Novell Groupwise account for school. For the rest of the day, I will perpetually cycle through each account since it would be HORRIBLE for an email to sit in my inbox for longer than 10 minutes! From there, I'll provide a breakdown of my "main" sites.

Facebook. I am addicted to Facebook, and can waste hours here. (It's not actually wasting time if you're spending quality time with those that matter. . . .) *grins*

MySpace. While I've got one, I am rarely, if ever, on it. It's there for the sake of having one, really.

CD Universe. I am an obsessive iTunes organizer, and at this site, I can get all the information I need in order to sort and slot all of my music, including artist, album, release date, and album artwork. I am often on this site, an academic site, and running Messenger at the same time.

Wikipedia. I am a compulsive Googler, and Wikipedia provides an ability to get a lot of background information on any given subject quickly. I will wiki things throughout the day.

Google. Enough said. :-D It's a compulsive habit. . . . . we all have our vices!

Blogging. I have several friends who run blogs, and I greatly enjoy following their lives, and commenting. I also have a low-key blog of my own. . . . . more of a journal, than anything. I spend a good amount of time researching and writing various topics.

Infoplease. Instead of actually using my 180 dollar pre-med textbooks, I instead turn to Infoplease to get quick background information on academic subjects that my knowledge is a bit "iffy" in.

Discussion Boards. I am a member of several, with topics varying from photography to dog training. I love open discourse, and the forums provide the perfect venue for it.

That just about sums up my habits. . . . a very strange mixture of real life and academia combined with some obsessive compulsive habits. Excuse me for now; I have to go check my email.

3 comments:

  1. "I have discovered that I have an astounding knack for being able to be 'productive' while doing absolutely nothing." I do believe that you've summed up my life in a sentence. The past two days I've purposely been online non-stop to complete this assignment...the result? I've planned out my courses for the next 6 semesters (partially for another class, partially because I like to plan ahead). Somehow I get things done even though I have to go on facebook a million times because I always forget why I originally signed on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! Facebook has a propensity for redirecting my attention. . . . and somehow, someway. . . . everything I need to do gets down amongst the 5 or 6 windows I have open. . . . *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I understand completely what you three are talking about! I ususally have six windows open..and I am constantly opening and reopening new ones because, I, too, forget why I orginally wanted to on that site in the first place. The Internet has a way of making a "five minute check" of email into an hour long Googling and Facebooking session.

    ReplyDelete