Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Concise Countering

I've thought about this post for quite some time, and have definitely struggled with it. There is such a volume of material to draw from, and I wasn't sure exactly which part of myself I wanted to argue with. However, I finally chosen one line that I have decided to counter.

We can drive our lives forward with a concision like no other generation, and we have the internet to thank for it.


I wrote that quite some time ago, and I've since come to realize how limiting it is. The internet is a large part of our skill-set that wasn't present even a generation ago that has shaped our way, and mode, of thinking. However, there is so much more that is a driving force, as well. Think about how much you text. How many of you have a character limit of 160 characters while sending a text? Point proven. You have learned to cut down on anything unnecessary, and get your point across quickly and concisely. Everything nowadays, online and otherwise, is focused towards a rushed, get-to-the-point pace. Efficiency is valued above all else. We have 1 minute microwave dinners, fast-food restaurants, 30 second news bites, and a "see all" function with statuses and updates. We want all pertinent information, and we want it NOW. . . . but that's not only driven by the internet, it's driven by all of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment